TOPKAPI PALACE - SULTANS' PALACE
After the conquest of Istanbul by Mehmed the Conqueror at 1453, construction of the Topkapı Palace was started at the year 1460 and completed at 1478 . Palace was built upon a 700.000 squaremeters area on an Eastern Roman Acropolis located at the Istanbul Peninsula between Sea of Marmara, Bosphorus and the Golden Horn. Topkapı Palace, was the administrative, educational and art center of the Empire for nearly four hundred years since Mehmed the Conqueror until Sultan Abdulmecid who is the thirty-first Sultan. Although Palace was abandoned by the Ottoman Dynasty by moving to the Dolmabahçe Palace at middle 19th century, Topkapı Palace was protected its importance everytime.
THE HAGIA SOPHIA
The Hagia Sophia, one of the historical architectural
wonders that still remains standing today, has an important place in the
art world with its architecture, grandness, size and functionality.
The Hagia Sophia, the biggest church constructed by the East Roman Empire in Istanbul, has been constructed three times in the same location. When it was first built, it was named Megale Ekklesia (Big Church); however, after the fifth century, it was referred to as the Hagia Sophia (Holy Wisdom). The church was the place in which rulers were crowned, and it was also the biggest operational cathedral in the city throughout the Byzantine period.
THE BLUE MOSQUE - SULTANAHMET MOSQUE
The Blue Mosque (Called Sultanahmet Camii in Turkish) is an historical mosque in Istanbul. The mosque is known as the Blue Mosque because of blue tiles surrounding the walls of interior design.Mosque was built between 1609 and 1616 years, during the rule of Ahmed I. just like many other mosques, it also comprises a tomb of the founder, a madrasa and a hospice.Besides still used as a mosque, the Sultan Ahmed Mosque has also become a popular tourist attraction in Istanbul.
THE HIPPODROME OF CONSTANTINOPLE
The Hippodrome of Constantinople was the place for horse races. It still survives as a park in which the traces of the old race course are clearly visible and a ruin. It was constructed in 203, during the reign of the emperor Septimius Severus, and after 324 expanded by Constantine the Great. It was about 130 meters wide and 450 meters long, and could accommodate about 40,000-50,000 people. The place, which is more or less northeast-southwest in orientation, is in Turkish called Sultanahmet Meydanı or At Meydanı ("Horse Square").
Dolmabahçe Palace was built by Sultan Abdulmecid (1839-1861) who was the thirty first Ottoman Sultan. The palace, whose construction commenced on June 13th, 1843, was brought into use on June 7th, 1856, upon completion of surrounding walls. The palace mainly consists of three parts, named as the Imperial Mabeyn (State Apartments), Muayede Salon (Ceremonial Hall) and the Imperial Harem.
The Suleymaniye Mosque was built on the order of
sultan Suleiman the Magnificent and constructed by the great Ottoman
architect Sinan. The construction work began in 1550 and the mosque was
finished in 1557.
The mosque is modeled in part on the style of a Byzantine basilica, particularly the Hagia Sophia, which was perhaps a conscious move on the part of the sultan to create a continuity and a symbolic connection with the city's past.
THE MAIDEN'S TOWER (KIZ KULESI)
The Maidens Tower is located 150-200 meters off the
shore of the Salacak district in Üsküdar. Although it is not definite as
to when the Maidens Tower was built, the towers architectural style is
said by some sources to be from around 340 BCE.
Previous names of the Maidens Tower were Damalis and Leandros. Damalis is the name of the wife of the king of Athens,Kharis. When Damalis died, she was buried on the shore, and the name Damalis was given to the Tower. It was also known during Byzantine times as arcla which means a little castle.
THE GRAND BAZAAR
The Grand Bazaar (Kapalıçarşı) in Istanbul is one of the largest covered markets in the world with 60 streets and 5,000 shops, and attracts between 250,000 and 400,000 visitors daily. It is well known for its jewellery, hand-painted ceramics, carpets, embroideries, spices and antique shops. Many of the stalls in the bazaar are grouped by type of goods, with special areas for leather, gold jewellery and the like. The bazaar has been an important trad ing centre since 1461 and its labyrinthine vaults feature two bedestens (domed buildings), the first of which was constructed between 1455 and 1461 by the order of Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror. The bazaar was vastly enlarged in the 16th century, during the reign of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent, and in 1894 underwent a major restoration following an earthquake.
THE BASILICA CISTERN
One of the magnificent ancient buildings of İstanbul
is the Basilica Cistern located in the southwest of Hagia Sofia.
Constructed for Justinianus I, the Byzantium Emperor (527-565), this big
underground water reservoir is called as Yerebatan Cistern among the
public because of the underground marble columns. As there used to be a
basilica in the place of the cistern, it is also called Basilica Cistern.
The cistern is 140 m long, and 70 m wide, and covers a rectangular area as a giant structure. Accessible with 52-step staircase, the Cistern shelters 336 columns, each of which is 9 m high. Erected at 4.80 m intervals from one another the columns are composed of 12 rows, each has 28 columns. The case-bay of the cistern is conveyed by the columns through arches. Majority of the columns, most of which is understood to have been compiled from the ancient structures and sculpted of various kinds of marbles, is composed of a single part and one of it is composed of two parts. The head of these columns bear different features in parts. 98 of them reflect the Corinthian style and part of them reflect the Dorian style. The cistern has 4.80 m high brick walls, and the floor is covered by bricks, and plastered by a thick layer of brick dust mortar for water tightness. Covering 9,800 sqm area in total, the cistern has an estimated water storage capacity of 100,000 tons.
Through the waterway separating the two continents, Europe and Asia, with a possibility to take photographs of marble palaces, ancient wooden villas of Ottoman architecture besides modern residentials and luxurious apartments.
The Bosphorus, Turkish: Boğaziçi, is a natural strait and internationally-significant waterway located in northwestern Turkey that forms part of the continental boundary between Europe and Asia, and separates Asian Turkey from European Turkey. The world's narrowest strait used for international navigation, the Bosporus connects the Black Sea with the Sea of Marmara, and, by extension, via the Dardanelles, the Aegean, and Mediterranean Seas. Most of the shores of the strait are heavily settled, straddled by the city of Istanbul's metropolitan population of 17 million inhabitants extending inland from both coasts.
EGYPTIAN BAZAAR (MISIR ÇARŞISI)
The origin of the Turkish word çarşı comes from the Persian word Cahar (meaning four the number) and Su (meaning district, street). Serving as a shopping mall with its wide range of stores, the Egyptian Bazaar is a complement of covered and open streets and squares which are suitably located in well-trodden streets in the center of the city. The temporary ones of the bazaars, located in various streets of big cities, are called as marketplaces. The collocation of the stores according to the goods and products they sell led to the emergence of such names as Shoe Seller Bazaar and Jewelry Bazaar. Comprising of a main street and side streets connected to it, bazaars constitute the most active urban area of a city all day long.
Rumelihisarı (also known as Rumelian Castle and Roumeli Hissar Castle) is a fortress located in the Sarıyer district of Istanbul, Turkey, on a hill at the European side of the Bosphorus. It gives the name of the quarter around it. It was built by the Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II between 1451 and 1452, before his army's conquest of Constantinople.The three great towers were named after three of Mehmed II's viziers: Sadrazam Çandarlı Halil Pasha, who built the large tower next to the gate; Zağanos Pasha, who built the south tower; and Sarıca Pasha, who built the north tower.
PIERRE LOTI HILL
Julien Viaud known as Pierre Loti, a French naval
officer and novelist who lived between 1850-1923, made his first visit
to Istanbul at the age of 26.
He was so enchanted by the Ottoman culture and beauty of Istanbul, he became a regular visitor to the city. During his visits, he was staying at Eyüp district which is by the Golden Horn bay. He fell in love with an Ottoman lady and named one of his novels with her name, Aziyadé.
Loti has written another book, La Turquie Agonisante (Turkey in Agony) and has been regarded as a sympathiser of the Ottomans. He was welcomed by the Sultan Mehmet Reşat on one of his visits with an official ceremony.
Later in 1921, the new parliament sent him message of gratitude for his support of the Independence War and named an avenue and a coffee house on Eyüp hill with his name.
The hill with a beautiful panoramic view of the Golden Horn and the historical peninsula is still called as Pierre Loti Hill.
CHORA CHURCH ( KARIYE MUZESI )
The building that is located in the Edirnekapı
neighborhood of İstanbul and called the Chora Museum (Kariye Müzesi)
is a church building that constitutes the center of the Chora Monastery,
which was a great building complex in the Eastern Roman Empire period,
and it was dedicated to Jesus Christ. Since it stood outside of the city
walls built by Constantine, the building was called Chora, which means
in the country or outside of the city in Greek.
Although the exact construction date of the building is unknown, according to the description of Symeon the Metaphrast, an author and saint who lived in the late 10th century, the region where the Chora monastery was located began to gain importance as a holy cemetery (necropolis) when the relics of Saint Babylas, who had been martyred in the early periods of Christianity, in 298, together with his 84 disciples, in Nicomedia (İznik), were buried here in the early 4th century.
ISTANBUL BY NIGHT
Traditional Turkish show
A night in the old Turkish
style with a floor show of traditional Belly Dancers , Folklore groups from
different regions of Turkey and Turkish Singers singing songs within different
languages with dinner and limited local drinks.
Anatolian roundtrip tours are perfect for the travellers who want to see and explore more than one or two different cultures or ancient civilizations. By joining these tours, our clients can enjoy discovering many regions with lots of unforgettable memories.
These tours created by concentrating on the special interests of our guests, and are designed accordingly
The Gallipoli Campaign, was a campaign of World War I that took place on the Gallipoli peninsula (Gelibolu in modern Turkey) in the Ottoman Empire between 25 April 1915 and 9 January 1916. The peninsula forms the northern bank of the Dardanelles, a strait that provided a sea route to the Russian Empire, one of the Allied powers during the war. Intending to secure it, Russia's allies Britain and France launched a naval attack followed by an amphibious landing on the peninsula, with the aim of capturing the Ottoman capital of Constantinople (modern Istanbul). The naval attack was repelled and after eight months' fighting, with many casualties on both sides, the land campaign was abandoned and the invasion force was withdrawn to Egypt.
ANCIENT CITY TROY
Troy, with its 4,000 years of history, is one of the most famous archaeological sites in the world. The first excavations at the site were undertaken by the famous archaeologist Heinrich Schliemann in 1870. In scientific terms, its extensive remains are the most significant demonstration of the first contact between the civilizations of Anatolia and the Mediterranean world. Moreover, the siege of Troy by Spartan and Achaean warriors from Greece in the 13th or 12th century B.C., immortalized by Homer in the Iliad, has inspired great creative artists throughout the world ever since.
Aphrodisias is unquestionably one of the most impressing ancient cities of Anatolia with its well-preserved buildings and numbers of magnificent sculptures from the Roman period. Being built near a marble quarry, the city was also an important center in the past with its famous sculpture school and for being one of the several cities that was dedicated to Aphrodite, the goddess of love.
The city was named after Aphrodite in the second century BC. but according to the Suda, before being known as Aphrodisias, it had three previous names: Lelegon Polis, Megale Polis and Ninoë, a name derived from Ninos. Ninos was the mythical founder for the Assyro-Babylonian Empire and the husband of the famous Semiramis. The city was later renamed as Stauropolis in the Cristian Era.
Ephesus which was established as a port, was used to
be the most important commercial centre. It played a great role in the
ancient times with its strategic location. Ephesus is located on a very
Ephesus, once, the trade centre of the ancient world, a religious centre of the early Christianity and today, Ephesus is an important tourism centre in Turkey.
The ancient city Ephesus is located in Selcuk, a small town 30km away from Kusadasi.
TEMPLE OF ARTEMIS
The temple of Artemis is known as one of the Seven Wonders of the ancient world. It has been built in the areas of Ephesus on a flat area which has over the centuries turned into a swamp. If you visit Ephesus today, you can only see the ruins of the foundations of this marvelous construction of the Hellenistic Age, entirely made of marble and full of sculptured columns' capitals and shafts. The most beautiful remaining of this temple are today exhibited in the London British Museum.
HOUSE OF VIRGIN MARY
House of Virgin Mary is located on the top of the "Bulbul" mountain 9 km ahead of Ephesus, the shrine of Virgin Mary enjoys a marvelous atmosphere hidden in the green. It is the place where Mary may have spent her last days. Indeed, she may have come in the area together with Saint John, who spent several years in the area to spread Christianity. Mary preferred this remote place rather than living in crowded place.
BASILICA OF ST.JOHN
It is believed that the evangelist St. John had spent his last years in the region around Ephesus and buried in the southern slope of Ayosolug Hill. Three hundred years after the death of St. John, a small chapel was constructed over the grave in the 4th century. The church of St John was changed into a marvelous basilica during the region of Emperor Justinian (527 -565 AD).
Located on the northern slopes of Mount Pion, near
Ephesus, The Grotto of Seven Sleepers has been discovered by both
Christians and Moslems with a growing interest. According to the
Christian legend seven young men were walled in during the reign of
Decius (250) and yet were seen alive in the streets of Ephesus during
the reign of Theodosius II some years after the Council of Ephesus
(431). In the Koran, it is claimed that the sleepers slept 309 years in
their tombs. A church has been built above this Grotto by the Christians.
During excavations in the area, the church and several tombs have been brought to daylight. Some inscriptions of Seven Sleepers have been noticed on the walls of the church.
This pretty old Orthodox village, 12 km away from
Ephesus and 30 km from Kusadasi, was once Cirkince ("ugly"). Indeed its
habitants gave this name on purpose as they did not want to be bothered
by foreigners nor to share the beauty of their village.
Still after years, visitors understood that the village was not ugly at all and called it Sirince ("pretty"). As the village is located on the top of a mountain, anyone will enjoy the impressive wine yards' and peach trees' views on his way.
It's about 20 km north of Denizli. It is called a Holy City in Archeological literature, because there were many temples and religious buildings in Hierapolis. The ancient city is situated between several historical areas. According to the ancient geographers, Strabon and Ptolemaios, Hierapolis was very close to Laodicea and Tripolis which was in Kario's Border. That's why it was a Phrygian City. There is no information about Hierapolis' history before the Hellenistic Era, but we know there was a city there before then. It's called Hierapolis because of its Mother goddess Cult.
Information about Hierapolis is limited. It is known that the king of Pergamum, Eumenes II, founded the city in 190 BC. It was named Hierapolis after the Amazon's Queen Hiera, the wife of Telephos, the founder of Pergamum. (Pergamum is also called Pergamon or Pergamos).
Hierapolis was completely destroyed by the earthquake in 60 A.D. during the time of Roman Emperor Nero. During the reconstruction after the earthquake, the city lost its Hellenistic Style and became a typical Roman City. Right after the Roman period started, Hierapolis became an important center because of its commercial and religious position. In 80 A.D. St. Philip came to Hierapolis and was murdered by the Jewish inhabitants. Hierapolis was conquered by the Turks at the end of the 12th century A.D.
RUINS OF HIERAPOLIS
Entrances and Main Street: The ancient city is divided by the main street which is about 1 km long. There are columnar governmental galleries on both sides. There are also monumental entrances at the beginning and at the end of the main street. The area is outside of the Byzantine city walls, because the gates, most of the main street, and most of the side streets were built in the Roman Period. The South Byzantine Gate on the south edge of the city is dated at 5 A.D. The well-preserved North Gate has two round towers and inscriptions in Greek and Latin honoring Emperor Domitian. That's why the gate is also called the Domitian Gate. The gate was built in 82-83 A.D. by Julius Sextus Frontinus. The gate is also called Frontinus Gate because of its architect. The gate is situated where the city walls cross the street.
The temple is situated in a religious cave, which is called Plutonium. The oldest religious center of the local people is the place where Apollon met the mother goddess, Kybele. The poisonous gas of that cave did not affect the priest of Kybele. The temple's foundation is dated in the late Hellenistic Period, but the rest of the temple is dated in the 3rd century A.D. There are large steps at the Temple's entrance.
MIDDLE AGE FORTRESS
The fortress is on the plateau which controls to the valley, consist of wide rampart system on a strategically position. The walls were built with blocks from the ruins, even a lot of blocks were marble and contained inscriptions. In an excavation in one of the fortress, a door, wide splits on ceiling and flor because of earthquake were brought to light. According to its material the fortress dated to the 9th and 13th century when there were conflicts between Byzantine and Selcuk. An important evidence is a coin dated to that period.
The city walls were built in accordance with a law issued in 396 AD. similar to other cities of the Roman Empire with walls on the north, south and east sides of the city. 24 square towers are placed along the city walls. There are 4 entrances, two with monumental gates and two more small gates. The monumental gates are situated on the main street. Unfortunately, most of the city walls were destroyed by earthquakes.
It's a great, well-preserved Greek style building, which is situated on a hillside. It is 91 meters high. The theater's construction was started in 62 A.D. after the earthquake of 60 AD in the Flavius era. However, it was not completed in the Hadrian era. It was finally completed in the Severus Era in 206 A.D. The cavea is separated into 7 parts by 8 steps, and there are 50 seats. The Diozoma (a kind of passage) is in the middle of the cavea with a vomitorium with 2 vaults.
There are 10 columns in front of the kingdom box and orchestra, which are 3.66 meters high. The front door of the scene has 5 gates and 6 niches. The niches are behind the columns which are decorated with oyster shells and among the columns adorned with statues. Many statues were found during the excavations. There are marble embossments on the wall which is behind the scene.
It's an octagonal building which is 20 m x 20 m. The
Martyrium was built at the end of the 4th century and early 5th century
in honor of St. Philip who was murdered here.
There is a cathedral dated in the 6th or 7th century A.D., a columnar church, and two more churches. Moreover, the main hall of the Great Bath was transformed into a church. There are also small prayer rooms on the north part of the city.
Except for the travertine area on the west, the other sides of the city are necropolis areas. They may especially be seen on the roads which go to Laodicea - Colossae on the south and to Tripolis - Sardis on the north. Limestone and marble were used to build the cemeteries. The north Necropolis spans the time from the Late Hellenistic era to the early Christian era with sarcophagi, house-type cemeteries, tumulus-type cemeteries, and monuments.
GREAT BATH COMPLEX
There are marks that indicate that the bath's inner walls used to be covered with marble. Some of the walls and vaults of the bath and are still standing. The plan is typical of other Roman Baths. There is a large court at the entrance, large halls on both sides, a rectangular enclosed area, and the actual bathing area. Two large halls within the Palaestra (sports arena) were reserved for the Emperor's use and for celebrations. The ruins of the Great Bath Complex date to 2 A.D. The restored part of the building is used as a museum today.
History: Antalya which means the home of Attalos
was founded by Attalos II. Following the fall of Kingdom of Pergamon
(133 BC), the city was independent for a while but then fell into the
hands of pirates. It was later incorporated into the Roman Empire by
Commander Servilius Isauricus in 77 BC. In 67 BC, the city then became a
naval base for Pompeius. In 130 AD, the visit of Hadrianus provided
progress for Attalia city. Attalia which was accepted as the centre of
episcopacy during the Byzantine period made great advancements after
possessed by Turks. Since modern city is located on the ancient
settlement, the ruins of antiquity can barely be traced. The first one
of the ruins that can be seen is the part of harbour pier that indicates
the old harbour and the walls surrounding the harbour. Hadrians Gate
with ongoing restoration works on the other side of the walls is one of
the unique ancient monuments of Antalya.
Kaleiçi (Old city)
It is surrounded inside and outside by horseshoe
shaped walls most of which were demolished and disappeared in time. The
ancient walls are the joint monument of the Hellenistic, Roman,
Byzantine, Seljuk and Ottoman periods. The walls have 80 bastions.
Inside of the walls, there are approximately 3000 houses with red tile
roof. The characteristic structure of the houses not only gives an idea
about the history of architecture in Antalya, but also reflects the life
style and traditions in the region. In 1972 Antalya marina and Kaleiçi
district have been put under protection by High Council of Immovable
Monuments and Antiquities as a protected area due to its unique texture.
Due to the restoration project of Antalya Kaleiçi complex The Ministry
of Tourism was awarded the Golden Apple Tourism Oscar by FIJET (International
Journalists Association of Tourism) in April 28, 1984. Today Kaleiçi
became an entertainment centre with its hotels, pensions, restaurants
Ulu Cami (Ulu Mosque)
It is known as Kesik (Truncated) Minaret. It
was actually built as a Basilica in V. century. Less survived from the
original monument, then it underwent some changes in the Byzantine
period. The monument was repaired during the Ottoman period, a part of
it used as Mevlevihane (whirling dervish hall) and then opened to
service as a mosque.
It was one of the significant Turkish Islamic
monuments and built in the middle of XIII century.
Evdir Han (Evdir Caravanserai)
Until the beginning of the 20th century,
transportation was provided by horses and camels and also goods were
transferred by this way. The caravans accommodated in Han and
caravanserai on the road. Evdir Han is one of them. It is on the road to
north from Antalya. It is located 1 km east of Antalya - Korkuteli Road
and 18 km away from city centre. The part that attracts most attention
is its sharp pointed, arched portal. It is a Seljukian monument which
was built in XIII century.
Kırgöz Han is the second stop on the old Antalya
Afyon road. Kırgöz Han is located in Kırkgöz, Pınarbaşı district that is
30 km away from Antalya. It is in very good condition.
The waterfall which is one of the natural beauties
that symbolizes the city is located approximately 10 km northeast of
Antalya city centre. It falls down from a height of 20 metres. The main
source of the stream is in Kırkgöz area. However lower part of Düden
Waterfall is on the road to Lara Beach. It is on the southeast of city
centre and floods from 40 metre high cliffs. It is one of the natural
beauties that symbolize Antalya.
It is on 7th km after the turning point to Isparta
road which is on the 24th km of Alanya road on the east of city centre.
This wonder of nature is one of the most frequently visited places as
well. The waterfall is place like a dreamland. It is inside of the deep
green valley. The whole place of the waterfall can be seen approximately
in half an hour. There are plenty of fishes in the water which forms
small lakes in some places. It also attracts attentions with its rich
fauna. Düden, Kurşunlu and Manavgat waterfalls were used while shooting
many Turkish movies. All can be reached easily by bus.
Perge is 18 km north of Antalya, near Aksu
district. It is an important Pamphylian city since it is situated on the
Cilicia Pisidia trade route. The foundation of the city coincides with
other Pamphylian cities (VII. Century BC). Perge was important for
Christians. Saint Paulos and Barnabas came to Perge. The riches such as
Magna Plancia provided significant monuments here. In Perge which the
first excavations started in 1946 by Istanbul University, the ruins such
as theatre, stadium, main road with columns and agora were found
The remains in Karain Cave situated 27 km northwest
of Antalya within the borders of Yağcılar belong to Palaeolithic,
Mesolithic, Neolithic and Bronze ages. This cave is one of the places
that should be seen.
It is 1 km inside from the turnout on 48th km of Antalya Burdur highway. Situated on mountain slope, Ariassos is worth seeing with its hamams and rock tombs. At the beginning of Ariassos valley, the most glorious remain the entrance gate rises. This monument which belongs to Roman period, called Üç Kapı (Three Doors) by local people since it has 3 arches, thus 3 entries. The most astonishing feature of the city is that three out of four of the whole city is the remains of necropolis with magnificent tombs.
The ancient city of Aspendos is situated 4 km from
Antalya-Alanya highway and almost in the middle of this highway. The
city is founded near Koprucay ( Eurymedon ). The ships were able to
reach the city from the sea owing to this stream which was used as a
canal in the ancient time. Today the city is 15 km. from the sea.
Aspendos Theater has survived to our day fairly undamaged and Aspendos
became famous with this theater.
This structure with an extraordinarily perfect acoustics hosts every year international and local concerts and festivals.
On the slope of the Mount Gulluk, inside the Gulluk National Park, Termessos was founded. The natural life here is under the preservation and it exhibits extraordinary beauties. It is difficult to get to the site of foundation of the city.
Phaselis is an ancient Lycian city in Antalya and located 3 km north to Tekirova, 12 km before the Kemer and about 56 km away from Antalya. Phaselis was built by the Rhodians in 700 BC. Its wealth come from commerce between Egypt, Greece, Asia, and Phoenicia. It has 3 harbors. The "Protected (Sun) Harbor", the "Battle Harbor" and the "Northern Harbor".
The early permanent settlements in Konya and its
province go back to prehistoric times. So many findings of the cultures
of the Paleolithic, Neolithic, Kalkolithic, Early Copper and Bronze Age
were discovered within the period of time in the province of Konya.
Konya has been an old permanent settlemet province, a cradle for many civilizations since people started to run a settled life in 7000 B.C. As we remember the usage of writing began 3500 B.C, Konya is considered one of the oldest settlements of the world history.
The Mevlana museum, located in Konya, Turkey, is the mausoleum of Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi, a Sufi mystic also known as Mevlana or Rumi. It was also the dervish lodge (tekke) of the Mevlevi order, better known as the whirling dervishes. Sultan Ala al-Din Kayqubad, the Seljuk sultan who had invited Mevlana to Konya, offered his rose garden as a fitting place to bury Baha ud-Din Walad (also written as Bahaeddin Veled), the father of Mevlana, when he died on 12 January 1231. When Mevlana died in 17 December 1273 he was buried next to his father. Mevlanas successor Husamettin Çelebi decided to build a mausoleum (Kubbe-i-Hadra) over his grave of his master. The Seljuk construction, under architect Behrettin Tebrizli, was finished in 1274. Gurcu Hatun, the wife of the Seljuk Emir Suleyman Pervane, and Emir Alameddin Kayser funded the construction. The cylindrical drum of the dome originally rested on four pillars. The conical dome is covered with turquoise faience. However several sections were added until 1854. Selimoglu Abdulvahit decorated the interior and performed the woodcarving of the catafalques. The decree of 6 April 1926 confirmed that the mausoleum and the dervish lodge (Dergah) were to be turned into a museum. The museum opened on 2 March 1927. In 1954 it was renamed as Mevlana museum.
ALAADDİN HİLL VE MOSQUE
The history always talks in praise about Alaaddin Keykubat. He is an enlightened protector of the art activities, a proficient commander, a leader and an expert craftsman. He is the one who invited and accommodated an inteligent and a wisdom person Mevlânâ to Konya. However, his the most perfect work that is identical with his name in Konya is the famous palace of Seljuk Sultans which were built at the north of the Alaaddin Hill. The palace that was built up at a very strategic locationin in a strong ramparts has only one wall that is remaingin now. Despite of this Alaaddin Mosque which was built up at the hill is still surviving intact with its impressive beauty. The construction of the oldest and the biggest mosque of the period of Anatolia Seljuk in Konya was begun in the time of Seljuk Sultan Rukneddin Mesut I (1116-1156), was continued at the time of Kılıçarslan II, and was complated in 1221, during the time of Alaaddin Keykubat. The mosques architecture was built with Islamic style; its roof was covered by wooden and earth. The most impressive part of the mosque which was built with 41 stone marble colomnar pertained by classical and Byzantine period is its minbar. One of the most significant samples of Anatolia Seljuks wooden embroidery of The minbar made of ebony wooden which is a masterpiece was made by Mengum Berti from Ahlat in 1155. There is a field which was covered by a dome that was decorated by çini (piece of earthenware decorated with opague colored glazes and motifs that are charecteristic of Turkish art) in front of the Mihrap (niche of a mosque indicating the direction of Mecca) which was decorated by çini. Partly çini of the Mihrap and dome was pulled up. Historian Eflaki says that Mevlâna was giving speech when the mosque was built. A mausoleum was added constructured later next to the mosque during the time of Kılıçarslan II. There are eight sarcophagus, which was decorated by çini, belongs to Seljuk Sultans in this mausoleum.
THE INCE MINARE MUSEUM
located in the norht of Alaaddin mosque, was built during the reign of the Seljuk ruler Izzeddin Keykuvas II by the Seljuk vizier Sahib Ata Fahreddin Ali as a madrasah to be thought the Hadith study in 1254. It was designed by the architect Kellük bin Abdullah. The stone door which is a masterpiece of stone work of Seljuk is decorated with Seljuk ornamentation written Yasin and Fatih Quranic chapters decorated by embossed with geometric and naturel decorations. The internal side of the building consists of courtyard, pavillion, classrooms, and student hostels. Minaret bases were built by hewn stone with brick materials. It has double minaret balcony that is made half pyramit shaped triangle and twelve angled and its body corners are turquoise blue glazed bricks. Its was destroyed up to the first balcony because of a thunderbolt in 1901. It became a public museum in 1956, wherein wooden and stone works of the Rulers of the Seljuk and Ottoman periods are displayed.
THE KARATAY MUSEM
The Karatay musem, located near to the Ince Minare museum, was built by Emir Jelaleddin Karatay who voiced out his name as an outstanging statesman as Sahib Ata Fahreddin Ali through his artistic features of works in 1251. The Karatay museum, which is its architect unknown, was served as a madrasah in Ottoman period unti the end of the 19th century. The Karatay madrasah which is having a considerable role about tile works in the period of Anatolia Seljuk, tuned into a public museum in 1955 as A Museum of Tile Works. In Karatay Museum, the excavation findings; wall tiles, tile and glass plates in Kubadabat Palace wherein Beyşehir lake coast and tile, porcelain plates, lamps, gypsum findings in Konya and its around of the Seljuk period and Ottoman periods are displayed in the museum.
THE SIRÇALI MEDRESE MUSEUM
The Sırçalı Medrese which is from a Seljuk period was built by Bedreddin Muhlis in 1242, as a school for the Fıqh (Islamic Jurisprudence). It became a public museum in 1960 as a Tomb Monuments Museum is one of the museums decorated by tiles. Historically and artistically significant tombstones which were excavated from graveyards that were expropriated in the city of Konya are classified through its period like Seljuks, Beyliks and Ottomans and are displayed. Even more the tombstones are cronologically classified by its shape, pattern and letter types.
SHEMS TABRIZI MOSQUE AND MAUSOLEUM
Considerable changes in Mevlâna Celâleddin Rûmîs life began after meeting Shems Tabrizi. when he was occupied with teaching in madrasas and giving speeches in the mosques up to this date was complately changed after meeting Shems Tabrizi. Shems Tabrizi whose original name is Mevlâna Muhammed was born in Tabriz, his spiritual seeking was stopped by meeting Mevlâna. Shems who shuns the world and its pleasures devoted himself to worship and pious works, at the end of the three years being together with Mevlâna made a new horizons to be achieved in his life and made him a God lover. Mevlâna did not forget his friend, the Diwan he had written varitably attributed to Shems.
It is said that Shems Tabrizi mosque as known, today in Konya, Shems Makamı that has been visited first before visit Mevlâna was first built 13th century. This present construction with mosque together was expanded and reconstructed by Emir Ishak Bey in 1520. However, those who have it made is unknown. The mosque is joined to its parts and it is covered by ceiling from inside and pyramidal conical roof on octagon tambur from outside. The mausoleum which was shaped with eyvan (a vaulted room with one side is open to a court) joines to the mosques along with a wooden Bursa arch which was decorated by pen work. On the other sides there are two windows which were located one at the botom the other one is at the top. It was assuming that under the sarcophagus which is covered one there was a well however, recent investigations made it clear that it was not a well but a mummy storage. The mausoleum that was built its body in stone and conical roof in brick was repaired in 1977.
The mosque, located at the west of the Mevlânâ Lodge, was originally begun in 1558 during Sultan Selim II, who was a prince and the governor of Konya, and completed in 1587. The mosque is a prominent example of classical Ottoman architecture in Konya.
At the north of the mosque, there is seven domed narthex which were structured on six columns and a main gate. Two minarets with a balcony are located at the left and the right side of the narthex.
SILLE AYA ELENA CHURCH
Sille which has a special meaning for Anatolia civilization and was a place where different cultures were living in peace and a significant centre for early Christiyanity period. After Christ in 327, Byzantium Emperor Constantines mather Helena whilst she was going to Quds for pilgrimage stoped off in Konya had saw the significant carved temples from the early Christianity period, she then had decided to have a temple constructed. Aya Elena church reached the present time through many constructions have been applied for centuries. There is an inscription written in Greek alphabet in Turkish about the history of the church where is located over the internal gate. Another three lined inscription indicates that the church was restored at the time of Sultan Mejit. The church was constructed by smooth hewn stone. Rooms that were carved in its courtyard are available. Narthex is approached through the north gate of the church. Bidirectional stone stairs which lead to the women mahfil are located here. The churchs main dome is situated on four elephant feet, it has three nefl. Within the church, the wooden preaching seat (throne-like) which its top was decorated with gypsum and a wooden gypsumed latticework which devides the main hall are an art masterpiece. There are pictures of Christ, holy Mary and apostles on the passing places of the domes and on the columns.
GREEN MAUSOLEUM (KUBBE-İ HADRA)
Green mausoleum, located on four elephant feet (thick columns) is a Seljuk masterpiece. It has 16 sliced conical hat from external side. Ayet-el Kürsi is written on the joining point where cylinder and conical hat joins. Dome are decorated with various motifs, decorations and kufi style verses. Mevlâna and Sultan Veleds graves are located right under the dome. The the double hunched marble sarcophagus over the graves was donated by Süleyman the Magnificent. Sultan Abdülhamit II had the quilt embroidered with gold thread placed over the sarcophagus made in 1894. The sarcophagus which is over the Mevlânas father Bahaeddin Veled is a Seljuk masterpiece and was made for Mevlâna in 1274. when Süleyman the Magnificent had a new marble sarcophagus made over the graves of Mevlâna and son in 1565, the original wood one was removed and put over the grave of Mevlânas father.
NASREDDİN HODJA MAUSOLEUM (AKŞEHİR):
A Great philosopher and a master of humour Nasreddin Hodja was born in Sivrihisar stayed in Akşehir and passed away in here. Nasreddin Hodja who has principle to make people think while laughing. His mausoleum is located in a cemetery which is called in his name in the east of the city wall. The present building, which was lost its original apprearance by so many restorations was structured by the city governor Şükrü Bey in 1905. Only the main mausoleum in the middle was left from the old building. The date of his death 683 H. (1284 A.C) where on the top of the marble coffin was written in reverse as 386 to symbolize the humour masters life.
Zazadin caravansary was built by one of the Seljuk Emirs Vezier Sadettin Köpek at the time of Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat in 1236 (A.C.).
The caravansary was structured in courtyard style which consisted of an amalgamation of summary and wintery types. It is 104 metres in tall and 62 metres in width. Some pieces wich were used on the external wall of the stone building are from the periods which are before Islam. The caravansary is located in 25 kms on the road of Konya Aksaray in the subdistrict of Tömek.
Located 8 kms from the cith centre on the present Konya-Ankara road for wintery in 1248.
One of the examples of caravansarys which was built in trade roads in the period of Anatolia Seljuk is Obruk caravansary.
Byzantine period stones, which were brought from the ancient settlements, were used in the structure of the wall of the caravansary. Obruk caravansary is located on the road which joins Konya to Aksaray.
Sultan bath, which is a part of the Sahip Ata complex, is still continuing its service in larende street.
The mahkeme bath which is a Turkish bath conveys the manner of cleanliness of Turkish people with historical features is located between Şerafeddin mosque and Şems Tabrizi mosque is still continuing its service.
The bath which was from the period of Beyliks is located at the top of the historical bridge has a great attraction for local and foreing tourists.
Cappadocia is a historical region in Central Anatolia,
largely in the Nevşehir, Kayseri, Aksaray, and Niğde Provinces in Turkey.
In the time of Herodotus, the Cappadocians were reported as occupying
the whole region from Mount Taurus to the vicinity of the Euxine (Black
Sea). Cappadocia, in this sense, was bounded in the south by the chain
of the Taurus Mountains that separate it from Cilicia, to the east by
the upper Euphrates and the Armenian Highland, to the north by Pontus,
and to the west by Lycaonia and eastern Galatia.
The name, traditionally used in Christian sources throughout history,continues in use as an international tourism concept to define a region of exceptional natural wonders, in particular characterized by fairy chimneys and a unique historical and cultural heritage.
Göreme, located among the "fairy chimney" rock
formations, is a town in Cappadocia, a historical region of Turkey. It
is in the Nevşehir Province in Central Anatolia and has a population of
around 2,000 people.
Former names of the town have been Korama, Matiana, Maccan or Machan, and Avcilar.When Göreme Valley nearby was designated an important tourist destination, a "center" for all tourism in Cappadocia, the name of the town was changed to Göreme for practical reasons.
The Göreme National Park was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1985.
The time that the Göreme was first settled is unclear, but it could date back as the Hittite era, between 1800 and 1200 B.C. The location was central between rivaling empires, such as the Greeks and Persians, leading the natives to tunnel into the rock to escape the political turmoil. During the Roman era, the area became home to Christians retreating from Rome.Christianity prevailed as the primary religion in the region, which is evident from many rock churches that can still be seen today.
Among Göreme's historically important sites are Ortahane, Durmus Kadir, Yusuf Koc and Bezirhane churches, in addition to the richly decorated Tokali Kilise, the Apple Church, and a number of homes and pigeon houses carved straight into the rock formations in the town.
Ürgüp which has been established at the outskirts of the hill named as hill of whishes founded at 20 km in north of Nevsehir province in one of the first settlement areas of Cappadocia region. Urgup is very famous as the touristic centre of the region and offers numerous options for food and accommodation. It is also an ideal palace start a tour of the region with Ortahisar, Mustafapasa, Valley of Gomeda, and Monastery of keslik only 5 10 kms away.
Avanos taking place at 18 km in the north of center of Nevsehir has been settled on the coast of the Kizilirmak River. Its name from antique periods is Venessa. The most important feature of the region is the manufacture of clay jugs, biscuits, and jars. The jar makers continuing since the period of the Hittites are still continuing their traditions. At the archeological diggings made in the Zank Mound near the town Sarilar of Avanos there has been discovered the ruins belonging to the different culturs from the Old Bronze Age and until to Late Roman Period.
Zelve, is on the Göreme Avanos roadway after Ürgüp. It has been settled at abrupt and north outskirts of Ak Hill with distance of 1 km from Pasa Bonds. The Zelve Oren Place formed from three valleys is the place having the most intensive chimney rocks formed in the volcanic tufas.
The volcanic eruption of Hasandagi led to tectonic
movements that left the surface of the region covered with a layer of
volcanic rock. The same volcanic activity led to pressure and heat being
put upon the limestone causing it to crack and create naturally spouting
springs of hot water, these can be seen at the Ziga Thermal Springs
between Ihlara and Yaprakhisar. The structural characteristics of the
region due to volcanic eruption produced tufa outcrops which were
moulded by wind, erosion and other natural phenomena and created the
strange and colorful Fairy Chimneys that are also encountered at Selime and Yaprakhisar.
Derinkuyu is situated on Nevsehir-Nigde roadway at 30 km in south region of Nevsehir. The history of the district of Derinkuyu named as Melagobia (Malakopi) which was meaning in the period of Eti the hard living is very old. In the district there are many underground cities and churches. As all of the underground cities from region of Cappadoccia it was the first place where the Christians have hidden.
It is on the Nevsehir Goreme roadway. There is not known the period of the commencement of the oldest settlement at Uchisar which is situated in the highest point of the region. The hill of the castle of Uchisar is the panoramic watching point. The many rooms, steps, tunnel and galleries inside the castle are connected to each other. At the entrance of the rooms there are sliding stones used to control the accesses and exits. On the chimney rock and outskirts of the castle and around there has been constructed many dovecotes. The doves were used in communication with the other settlement regions. Says as legend dwarf had been lived at the Uchisar because of the very narrow passages in the castle.
One of the characteristics of Cappadocia is having plenty of underground cities. Its known that there are more than a hundred of underground settlements in the region and many of them are not open for visits. The underground cities, which are guessed to be used since the Bronze Age, used to be a settlement mostly in Byzantine period, doubtless. In this period, increasing invasions forced local residents to build underground cities for protection and religious purposes.
Cappadocia balloon tour begins every day at sunrise. Balloon tour takes almost an hour but if you want to join deluxe balloon tour it takes 1.30 hour. You can take your own flight certificate after tour. Comfortable clothes and shoes are recommended.
Turkey is the perfect place to plan your incentive or
events with its over 300 sunny days a year...
Cantur Travel Agency is your perfect partner to help you to organize.
Our experienced team understands and shares your objectives, defines your strategies, creates an image. We are ready to surprise you with our creativeness by organizing amazing evenings, any sports and adventure activities or any demanded arrangement. For us there is no importance of the number of the participants because from one to thousands, we care with VIP concept to each client. We are ready to represent your company in Turkey knowing that your success will be our success.
The Winter seasons non given up sport, ski and skiing season is having special mean of joy with Cantur Travel Agency.
Further your special demands and upon required dates/standards, complete arrangements can be provided to the famous Skiing resorts as in Turkey or to any resort in the world.
With Cantur Travel Agency's long functional, experienced, professional and qualified staff, all you have to do is just to get the upmost enjoyment out of your ski.
Patara is the longest beach in the Mediterranean, and was hailed by The Sunday Times as the best beach in the world. Accommodations are limited, loungers and umbrellas are available to rent, and it is backed by ancient ruins.
If you want a more relaxed, romantic atmosphere, Olympos is the beach for you. It is far more secluded and smaller than the other two beaches mentioned so far, and is backed by a forest, which is filled with Roman ruins.
Iztuzu Beach is a national conservation area, and is one of the last breeding places in Europe of the Loggerhead Sea Turtle. It can only be reached by a 20 minute boat ride from the nearby town of Dalyan. There is a lot of beach, and the water is warm and shallow. Nearby, there are some cliff tombs you can explore as well.
Oludeniz is Turkey's most famous beach, and therefore in peak seasons, is the most crowded. There are good hotels to stay at, very good bars, water sports available, scuba diving and is surrounded with resorts.
Side is only an hour away from the airport, and is very popular with holiday groups. There is a village and a beach filled with fine sand, as well as some Roman ruins to explore nearby.
Bodrum is home to the original mausoleum, which is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. It is also home to the Castle of St Peter, which used to be a crusader fortress but now serves as the Museum of Underwater Archaeology. The beaches in town are small, but many people visit them as an afterthought to sightseeing.
Kemer is basically a seaside town built along the sea. There are a number of small beaches you can visit, as well as many day-trip opportunities. Most of the beaches are made up of small pebbles, although there are a few with sandy beaches.
Alanya is one of the biggest resorts found in Turkey, and Cleopatra's Beach is splendid and very popular. The beach and resort offer great accommodations, facilities and things to do. The beaches of Alanya are so long almost 22 km to the east that there's plenty of sand for everyone. There is also an old Great Seljuk castle nearby.
Most of the Pamucak Beach is public, but on the south side there are some resorts. It is close to the Aqua Fantasy water park, and there is a small hotel where you can get refreshments and amenities. The water is pretty choppy, and there aren't any life guards, so be careful.
Icmeler bay is located on the Datca peninsula. The town is surrounded on three sides by pine forests. Don't expect a booming nightclub scene in Icmeler. If you enjoy water sports such as water skiing and diving, then Icmeler is the place for you, that is a huge plus. Take a boat trip to a nearby island, savor fresh seafood in a beachside cafe, or just soak up the sun.